Our Moving Tips help to make the transition to your new home seamless and stress-free. These easy to follow step-by-step instructions to packing ensure your favorite pieces arrive at their new home without chips or cracks. Read here for help to get your life and your possessions organized for a peaceful and exciting move.
Use these tips to make your packing go a little smoother and faster and you’ll be surprised just how easy it is to get your home ready before the Uptown Moving and Storage arrives.
Residential Moving Tips from Uptown Moving & Storage
- Packed boxes should weigh less than 50 pounds.
- Pack heavier items on the bottom.
- Make sure all boxes can close properly and be sealed so the tops are flat. If you over-pack a box, you risk damage to the contents.
- Pack small items in small boxes and place them into a large box. Label all boxes, large or small.
- Small, loose items should be boxed or bagged and sealed securely before placing into a larger box.
- If moving liquids, either transfer them into a sealable container or make sure the lid is secured by taping it down, then put it into a waterproof bag, seal the bag then place it upright into a box. Clearly mark the box with arrows and “This End Up”.
- Keep an inventory list of each box and its contents.
- Keep important records with you. Do not move them with the rest of your household goods. If you cannot take them with you in the car, then send them on ahead with a secure courier company.
- As much as possible, keep items in their proper places. For example, when packing the silverware/flatware, keep it in its’ tray then tape bubble wrap around it to secure the contents. This is easier than sorting out all those pieces after your move.
- Tape screws, bolts and other loose items to underside of furniture. Make sure you bag them first.
- Keep tools you’ll need to reassemble furniture in a separate box that is clearly marked. I usually keep an all-purpose screwdriver in the glove compartment of our car for just such purposes. There’s nothing worse than arriving at your new home late at night, wanting to put the bed together and not knowing where the screwdriver is.
Want More Expert Moving Tips?
Click Below for a Detailed PDF of Our Expert Moving Tips!